The Eye-Bank recognizes outstanding students with the Young Ambassador Scholarship in Memory of Christopher Nordquist. The annual $3,000 award to an eligible student is made possible through private contributions given to The Eye-Bank in memory of Christopher, who was two when he died and left the gift of sight.
Through the years, his mother Andrea Nordquist has shared the story of their family’s loss and subsequent decision to donate Christopher’s corneas in hopes of increasing awareness of the good that eye donation can do. In this way, Christopher became one of The Eye-Bank’s first Young Ambassadors. The Scholarship in his memory is intended to encourage young people to pursue learning and to help spread the message about the priceless gift almost anyone can leave after death – the gift of sight through eye donation.
YOUNG AMBASSADOR SCHOLARSHIP CRITERIA
To apply, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Reside within The Eye-Bank’s service area: New York City, Long Island, and the lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam and Orange Counties).
- Be a student no more than 25 years of age who is enrolled, in a 2 or 4-year college, university, trade or technical school for the current academic year at the time of application deadline.
- Complete the online Scholarship Application by May 15, 2021.
- Use the scholarship award for continuing education at an accredited university, college, trade or technical school certificate program.
- Write a short essay, 1-2 typewritten pages, doubled-spaced, describing an educational or public service initiative in which the student participated that promoted eye, organ and tissue donation such as distributing brochures or speaking to a class or club (eye information must be included).
- Applicants may contact The Eye-Bank in advance for project ideas and use the promotional materials provided below.
- Provide two references from current school (high school or college).
- Provide a current official transcript.
- Provide an acceptance letter from the college, university or trade/technical school the applicant plans to attend (high school seniors).
Applicants are encouraged to focus on projects utilizing social media outreach to encourage New Yorkers to enroll in the NYS Donate Life Registry via smartphone, laptop or computer. Applicants may request a designated URL to track Donate Life Registry enrollments (contact firstname.lastname@example.org). The URL would be active from the date provided until May 15, 2021.
Applicants may use information from The Eye-Bank’s website for their project to increase awareness about eye, organ and tissue donation.
The following pdf promotional tools have also been made available:
Link to videos
We look forward to receiving your application.