Write To A Recipient.
Receiving the gift of sight is a very special gift, one that certainly deserves a “thank you”. We encourage cornea transplant patients to send a thank-you letter to their donor families.
Perhaps, as a donor family member, you also may wish to communicate with the recipient of your loved one’s donation. This may be done anonymously through The Eye-Bank.
How to begin:
- Contact The Eye-Bank to obtain information about the outcome of a donation by sending a request to email@example.com or calling 212-742-9000.
- If the tissue has been used for transplant, you may want to send a card or letter to the recipient(s).
Some suggestions to include:
- Begin with “Dear Recipient”
- Do not identify yourself by name or include the names of others.
- Share information about your loved one, such as his or her field of work, interests/hobbies and personal qualities.
- You may wish to share some general information about your family, such as children or grand children
- Sign the letter “Your Donor’s Mother, Sister, Husband, etc.”
- Do not include a return address or phone number.
Send your card or letter:
- Place your card or letter in an unsealed envelope.
- On a separate piece of paper, write your name, address and the name of your loved one so The Eye-Bank can identify the cornea recipient(s).
- Place this paper and the unsealed envelope containing your card or letter in another envelope and mail to:
The Eye-Bank for Sight Restoration
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
To ensure donor family and recipient privacy, it is The Eye-Bank’s policy that any correspondence between donor families and recipients be made through us, without disclosing the identity of either the donor or the recipient. Once your card or letter is received, it will be forwarded to the appropriate recipient(s).
When will I hear from the recipient(s)?
Any reply will be promptly forwarded to you. While all recipients are very grateful, not all transplant patients are prepared to correspond, if at all. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.